11.06.2007

audtions

I think I have finally discovered the only way to live through auditions.
No monologues, only readings....

This is the second set of auditions in a row I've been involved in where that has been the format, and I really like it.
Taking actors out of their element of "prepared" and throwing into the fire with cold readings is a bettrer assessment of their skills, i feel. I mean, I'm a sucky actor, but I can memorize a monologue just fine. But would I make interesting and creative choices during a cold read? probably not - I don't have that bag of tricks.
Actors do certainly need to memorize, but they also need to be totally comfortable "in the moment". In live theater, anything can happen (and usually does). If you're not ready to take it as it comes, then you're not right for me.

No comments: